Sunday, November 4, 2012

Boulevard Cafe

Boulevard Cafe
2 Poncetta Drive
Daly City, Ca 94015



Best. Restaurant. EVER.

There's no place I'd rather eat at. Period. It's a restaurant that even Gordon Ramsay could be proud of. If I was having dinner with the president of the United States, I wouldn't hesitate to bring him to Boulevard Cafe. In fact, I've brought all of my guests there, and every one of them has left with full stomachs and praise on their lips. My grandmother (who probably holds a world record for most restaurant complaints in a single lifetime) claimed it was the best chicken picatta she's ever eaten!



The Boulevard Cafe's website says it all: 
"In our homes, a meal was always more than just a way to satisfy appetite. It was a special occasion. It was a time when friends and neighbors gathered together; a time when family and friends enjoyed home cooked meals prepared with age-old recipes, seasonal produce, and the freshest ingredients; a time when stories and laughter were in equal proportion to marvelous food and drink. It was a time, especially, when friends and neighbors were made to feel at home."
The main reason I love coming to the Boulevard Cafe is that it feels like home. The staff is warm and friendly, and most of them have been there for years. Their dishes are familiar and simple...yet excellent in taste. They make their own salad dressings, bake their own bread fresh daily, and even grind their own beef for burgers! (And believe me, you can tell this is true just by the flavors in their food.) Perhaps it was their homemade greek avgolemono soup that got me hooked in the first place. It's creamy, lemony, filled with fresh chicken off the bone, and better than your mama's.

I always order the soup, but I have quite a few other favorites too. If you like Mediterranean cuisine, you'll love the menu at Boulevard Cafe, which is sprinkled with Greek and Italian influence. I often order their tzatziki/pita bread or polenta for an appetizer, and I recently tried their new lamb burger. The fish and chips are a must try! Thick, succulent chunks of fresh cod are dipped in homemade beer batter and crisped to perfection. (I ordered them at least a dozen times in a row before I could bring myself to try something else on the menu.) Their burgers are cooked-to-order and far surpass the best burger place in the area. The house salad dressing, a light champagne-type vinaigrette, is so delicious that my stepmom asked if she could purchase some to go. Just the right amount of dressing glistens off fresh, leafy greens tossed with crunchy julienne carrots.

I have no idea what their desserts are like...because I've never had room left.



On my latest trip to Boulevard Cafe, I tried the zesty crab cakes, another one of their new menu items. The crab cakes were moist, yet crispy breadcrumbs graced the exterior. The lemony flavor was outstanding, and the lime aioli was a great compliment. Although they were scrumptious, I would recommend them for more than one person. (That's why they are on the appetizer menu.) I could barely eat a whole one and the flavors are too rich to eat as a meal.



I'd eat at Boulevard Cafe everyday of the week if my checkbook would allow it. I'm not the only fanatic, so if you come here during "restaurant rush hour" times, expect a little bit of a wait. Boulevard Cafe is the only diner I know of that is so busy on Friday and Saturday nights, they have valet parking. Yes, valet parking at a diner. Their breakfast menu covers all angles, and this is usually their busiest time. They have extra seating for large parties, and I can't think of a more wonderful location to bring out of town guests for an intimate meal. No matter what time of the day, or which day of the week, whenever you visit Boulevard Cafe you're going to get home-style atmosphere and above-average food. I dare you to leave room for dessert!



No comments:

Post a Comment