Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Broaster Chicken

Broaster Chicken
243 Westlake Center
Daly City, Ca 94015



I've walked past Broaster Chicken dozens of times while shopping around at Westlake Center and always wondered about the food. I've stood outside and browsed their menu at times, yet never fully committed to going inside. I decided to finally stop in last Tuesday and officially make it my first review!

What often deterred me from eating at Broaster before now was the shabby atmosphere. So it didn't surprise me when I strolled in at lunch time and found the place basically empty. The parking lot outside was packed, but only one other customer had ventured inside. The 80's classic Starship hit "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" sounded in the air as I walked by odd bunches of plants, splotches of Halloween decorations, and empty rows of red chairs. While the decor was certainly haphazard, the place was, at least, cleanly. The future seemed dismal, but I stepped up to the register and ordered a teriyaki chicken bowl and crossed my fingers.



Including a can of soda, my total had come to $9.36. (Not exactly as cheap as the place appeared.) As I waited for my food, a woman paused at the menu outside, opened the door and frowned, and then headed out. I couldn't help but take note of it since I had done the same thing many times before. I waited a few minutes for my food, but I usually consider that a good thing, meaning no microwaves were involved. After a short wait, the kind gentleman behind the counter brought out my teriyaki bowl which smelled incredibly savory!



The chicken was tender and tasted just as good as it smelled. The teriyaki sauce that smothered the chicken was absolutely delicious! However, I felt the side "salad" left alot to be desired. It was made with flavorless iceberg lettuce, large tomatoe slices, and was drenched in watery italian dressing. (For the price, I would have much rather had vegeatables mixed in with my chicken bowl.) Two other customers wandered in while I ate, and I took note to order the fried chicken special next time. The server/cashier was very friendly and made sure to say goodbye as each person left the restaurant. I could be mistaken, but he gave off the impression of being an owner.

To sum it all up, this is a place I would stop by if you are in the mood for chicken and in the Westlake area, but I certainly wouldn't travel from afar to eat here. I'd recommend getting food to go since the atmosphere is a little awkward, yet if you do eat here, expect friendly service. The prices seemed a little high for the complexity of the food served, however it was pretty tasty! I won't be rushing back, but I will certainly eat there again sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment