Monday, November 26, 2012

Taqueria Polanco

Taqueria Polanco
4931 Junipero Serra Blvd.
Colma, CA 94014




When I first moved here, I was told there was no such thing as good Mexican food in Daly City. For a while, I found this was true. But then...along came Taqueria Polanco. After growing up in San Diego, where taco shops are abundant and usually serve mouthwatering food 24 hours a day, I'd say I have a pretty good taste for good Mexican food. Taqueria Polanco may not live up to San Diego's standards (um, don't forget we created the california burrito) but they definitely make the cut in Daly City.

 My "usual" is a carnitas super burrito, no sour cream, whole beans, hot sauce, and extra cilantro. Their hot sauce is homemade and super flavorful. I used to order the mild sauce, but one day I forgot to specify, and I've been hooked on hot ever since! I've tried their california burrito, but I was a bit weirded out by the fact that they used potato wedges instead of french fries. Frankly, it was too much potato for me. Their california fries are made with actual french fries, but if you've tasted california fries from San Diego...don't bother. If you're in the mood for dessert, try their custard-filled churros! You can check out their full menu here.




Taqueria Polanco is small, like most taco shops, so I highly recommend ordering to go. However, they do have a few tables and a long counter-top to eat at if you want to grab a bite there, before heading over to Target or one of the other stores nearby. The staff is always friendly, and the owner Enrrique always makes me feel extra welcome. He started chatting with me when I first started frequenting the place, and by now we are like old buddies! I've noticed that he treats all his customers this way, and seems genuinely delighted to serve them. I also enjoy the colorful atmosphere inside Taqueria Polanco. Unlike many taco shops I've been to, inside is clean and refreshing. A bright Aztec-like mural covers the main wall, and their signature shade of orange adds an additional pop of color. In all, Taqueria Polanco isn't the best Mexican food place I've visited, but no longer can anyone claim that there is no good Mexican food in Daly City!

No comments:

Post a Comment